Barcelona-based Germark has invested in a Bobst Master M5 inline flexo press as it looks to improve production and offer faster delivery times. Billed as the ultimate digitalised flexo press, the multi-process machine has many automation features which Bobst claims significantly reducing setup times and waste.

Fitted with UV-LED curing, the 200m/min press will also save Germark 60% in energy consumption, resulting in a more sustainable performance. The Combo Coupon feature enables multi-layer labels to be produced at 150m/min in one pass.   

Family-owned Germark , which has a range of clients in the health and beauty, pharma, and industrial sectors, has a turnover of almost €14million (£12million) across its labels and systems divisions. Labels account for 70% of its business, with the remaining 30% focusing on the design and development of its own brand of labelling systems, and it boasts representatives in 20 countries around the world.

Germark currently runs nine printing presses and four finishing lines at its 7000sqm facility in Cornellà de Llobregat. It first adopted digital printing technology more than 20 years ago, when it installed an early model toner press, and now operates as a packaging consultant supporting customers from the initial design stage through to the final product. It claims to be the only label converter in Spain to comply with the AuditOne Packaging Standard, which allows it to work with the biggest cosmetics brand owners in the world, including P&G, Unilever, L’Oréal, and Johnson & Johnson. 

Managing director Iban Cid, who took over the role from his father nearly 25 years ago, said, ‘We have a long and proven expertise in the label industry, so we need the right technology to match our ambition. Now we have also invested in BOBST’s highly digitalised flexo technology, which fits perfectly with our strategy and sustainability objectives.

‘We’re already working towards maximising automation in all our production processes, data management and energy consumption. BOBST’s central strategy of digitalisation, automation, connectivity, and sustainability is reflected in the MASTER M5, so there was no doubt in my mind that this machine was what we needed to update our flexo department.’